7.07.2012

rain

When the sky finally started turning a slight shade of gray yesterday you would have thought we’d won the lottery. Funny what a few vegetables can do to change perspective on the weather. Anyway, being peak harvest season, we’re getting enormous batches of tomatoes (and okra and cucumbers and eggplant) daily. But mostly super ripe tomatoes that don’t do a very good job of hanging onto the vine in a torrential downpour... which is what I was expecting from those clouds with a hint of gray, naturally. So the picking commenced.


Aren’t they lovely?! And they taste nothing like grocery store tomatoes.

We harvested some pepper while we were at it.

This is the other variety - mostly green. 

Except for this little guy, just doing his own thing. I’m so jazzed that we have our first red pepper - also grown from the predominately green-peppered plant. 

Speaking of mutant vegetables, I HAD to show you (this blurry picture of) these fellas! They are full sized tomatoes growing from out cherry tomato vine. At first, I thought there had to be some kind of mistake and maybe another little plant had come up on its own, but upon closer examination the large tomatoes on the right are growing from the same vine, even better -just inches - down the same vine as these little guys on the left. Blowing. My. Mind. Apparently blowing the minds of birds too, because they are all over the one big ripe guy.

 We also had a pretty grand harvest of okra. Check out these guys! I’m planning on drying the larger pods so we can use the seeds for next year and will have plenty of extra... if you’re interested in growing okra next summer let me know and I’d love to share some seeds!

 
J snapped this photo while I was picking - this garden is out of control. In the best way of course =)

Happy gardeners...

hoping those lovely gray clouds pull through before the weekend is over... We haven’t had any rain in 26 days.


2 comments:

Lauren said...

i loved this update :) can't wait to see you soon! you both make my life happy.

Anonymous said...

You're going to have to teach me everything you know... I'm desperate to start a garden when we move to SC, but I don't know the first place to start.