5.18.2013

Dear Eli,

Around the time I graduated high school, I made that big decision to buy my first car. It was a used (but  loved) little thing, and I’ll never forget the thrill the first time I took her around the block for a test drive.   I even gave her a name, and those first months she was spotless.

Then classes started.

The backseat somehow remained constantly strewn with academic paraphernalia and evidence of my healthy shopping habits. After I graduated, I started teaching and my backseat started telling a different story. It looked more like I may be a representative for Knowledge Tree judging from the plethora of "teaching essentials" I kept on hand "just in case" (you never know when you may need an alligator hat, butterfly net, extra bug collectors, or a giant set of foam die). Not too long after we found out about you, Mocha joined our family.  She also saw great value in the items in the backseat… as chew toys.

They were soon replaced with puppy hair and muddy paw prints.

This morning we were in the car together and I glanced over to check on you. Little speckles of sunlight were dancing on your face.  You had that halfway smile painted on. Out your window all the world looked blurred - courtesy of Mochas wet nose pressed up against the glass so many times as she peered out from her preferred side.  A few years ago I would have been too eager to clean those prints off the window, but lately I’ve been enjoying that smudgy view from all those prints. I love this full life they showcase and can't wait for you to start leaving little prints of your own.

Since you arrived, life has been so sweet... and I love the new look of my backseat.

1 comment:

GingerLand said...

Oh, this is such a sweet post. Funny how life changes. I love the thought of how life changes on those small things -- like what's in the backseat of a car.