11.21.2013

how to exit mainstream-momma culture

step 1: love your baby and make the health of that baby your full-time job
step 2: trust the body’s design
step 3: research he beeswax out of everything you put on, in, or near your body… don’t just take your pediatrician’s word for it.

I’m halfway kidding, of course…

but also halfway not.

I feel like this little tid-bit post is important one to write because its about change… which can be really difficult. And it’s a reminder for me. Because sometimes our identity is so wrapped up in what we do or don’t buy, what we do or don’t eat, where we do or don’t live, how we do or don’t dress, that we don’t even know it. It’s so much a part of who we are that we don’t  question it any more… or even want to question because of what we may find.


If you had asked me a few years ago if would ever be the type that would be purposefully giving birth at home, cloth diapering, making her own baby bottom creams, and eating vegan I would have told you that you were out of your ever-loving mind.

Me? Not eating poncho’s cheese dip!?! Or Ben n Jerry’s? Ha! Yea right.

Then it happened.

And it’s forever this beautiful reminder that if this cheese-loving, product-junkie can change, anyone can. It just takes finding something more important than the things you’re giving up.


Also, if you haven’t converted to being one of those crazy, kombucha-drinking, cloth diapering types, then no worries. I don’t judge you or think you’re a terrible parent. I think you’re doing the best you know, just like me. I also don’t think it’s weird or offensive when people ask me “why?” … in fact, I LOVE that question. I think we all need to ask it more, myself included. We spend way too much time defending our positions and choices and not nearly enough time examining and questioning them.

No comments: